Disclaimer

I didn't really have a place to post my thoughts on my reading of Radical, so I started this blog specifically for this purpose. I have a personal blog, Taulman Times, but it is a private blog. I have a blog of photos and activities of my kids, Taulman Times: Special Edition, but I didn't feel these posts would be appropriate there. And, I have my homeschooling blog, Journey to Excellence, that is designated solely for that purpose. What does my title mean? It means that I do not see myself being able to submit to the level of being Radical that the book will require. I have a feeling I will be frustrated and angry through most of the book. I have a feeling I will be frustrated with many of the posts I read from other participants because they will appear to be willing to just "sell all and take up their cross." I want to change, I just don't want to change enough. This will be a difficult journey. I hope that you will stick with me through this journey. I am transparent. I will say it like I'm feeling it. But don't doubt for a second that I do not love the Lord fully and completely and desire to do as He calls me to do. I have just been hurt badly over the last year or so, all in the name of being a Christian. So, I have a lot to overcome. Let's get started.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

It was here I almost put the book down and quit ...

... on page 12, just before the "What About Us?" section.

Seriously, at this point, I was done before I started.

Before you start reading my comments on Chapter 1 of Radical, you might want to read some background about me here. {That way maybe you'll only think I am a callous, disobedient woman, instead of knowing it.}

I'm also not going to lie. I had to read a little bit of Chapter 2 to keep me going. After Chapter 1 I was ready to just throw in the towel. I'm not even sure if I could be described as "Radical-ish". I don't think I am anywhere near that!

It was super easy for me to agree with the following statements:

{Pg. 7, talking about the well-meaning Christians at his church throwing a huge event} "[They are] People like you and people like me, who simply desire community, who want to be involved in church, who believe God is important in their lives ... somewhere along the way we had missed what is radical about our faith and replaced it with what is comfortable. We were settling for a Christianity that revolves around catering to ourselves when the central message of Christianity is actually about abandoning ourselves."

and

{Pg. 11, when the potential follower showed up and asked Jesus, "What must I do to inherit eternal life?"} "If we were in Jesus' shoes, we probably would be thinking this is our chance. A simple 'Pray this prayer, sign this card, bow your head and repeat after me,' and this guy is in. Then think about what a guy like this with all his influence and prestige can do. We can get him on the circuit. He can start sharing his testimony, signing books, raising money for the cause. This one is a no-brainer --- we have to get him in." ~ reminds me of what our former church is doing right now, planting a new campus of their church in the middle of one of the most affluent neighborhoods in our city, instead of in the middle of one of the poorest.

After those two statements I was feeling pretty good.

Until I read, "What About Us?" which really means, "What About You, Nicole?"

Done. Already, in Chapter 1?

I loved the description about the field with the treasure being Jesus, and how if the field was full of earthly treasure that we would run and sell all of our meager belongings to go and buy it. But when the treasure is Jesus, just Jesus, are we {me} willing to do the same?

My answer is, "No," as long as it pertains to me.

Just being honest here.

I am more worldy and earthly possessed and comfortable than I thought I was. I couldn't sell everything I have, leave my husband and children behind, or fail to attend one of my parents' funerals, to follow Jesus. I probably couldn't even bring myself to do a whole lot less.

I can't.

I am hoping that by reading this book, conversing with you ladies, and, most importantly, reading the Word and praying through this issue, that I can overcome my selfish ways.

It all sounds so great, like something I would like to do. But, honestly, I really just want to sit back and smile while I watch someone else do it!

I am too afraid for it to be me.

To read about other women, who likely are handling this better than me, go to Marla Taviano's blog here.

7 comments:

  1. I love your honesty. I wonder how many of us really feel more like you than we'd like to admit. This is going to be an interesting journey... Thanks for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too- I like the idea of watching someone else do it! I am scared to think that it is ME that has to give up everything-EVERYTHING? Really God? Am I willing today? No. I like the end of the passage in Matthew 19(after the story of the rich young ruler); v.26 "and looking upon them Jesus said to them, "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your honesty. That is totally how I feel. I told a friend that is doing the read along that even if I don't become completely Radical, even if I take baby steps, I am still moving in the right direction, right?

    I didn't want to committ to reading it either. I will promise to finish if you will!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're all worldly. That's why we're all so convicted about reading this book! I love your honesty about it. And I just read your background story. We're also in Oklahoma... and today, my post was about a church building project. Ha! No ten million dollar plan, just some foundation repair so that the walls wouldn't fall in on us. Which they were starting to do. :)

    Hope you keep on reading the book! It's going to be tough but rewarding for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved that...not even Radical-ish. It's definitely a book you want to put down instead of hearing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so appreciate your honesty...I understand, unfortunately, what it is to be hurt by "christians"...it is important to remember Jesus saved some of his harshest words for the "righteous" Pharisees of his day.
    I pray that through this next nine weeks you find healing for your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your background story, Nicole. Like Melissa, I'll be praying God brings sweet healing to your heart.

    ReplyDelete